slogans

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 30 07:48:34 PST 2002

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Lenin says somewhere that anarchism is the penalty the working class
>>pays for its sins of opportunism.
>
>So Lenin said that. That makes it true? You have a habit of quoting
>him and Mao as if they were scripture.
>
>In the U.S., anarchism comes out of a very different historical and
>cultural context from what it did in Russia. And a lot of today's
>anarchists are anarchists because they find the secrecy and
>discipline of a Leninist party to contradict everything the
>revolution they'd like to make should stand for. I'm not an
>anarchist, but I sure understand why so many radicals today,
>especially younger ones, find it appealing.
>
>Doug

Well, it's either we try to practice a modicum of democratic and collective discipline, or else we trust all to practice self-restraint individually and appropriately and just "hope there aren't many idiots...coming to town."

Now, if you wish to avoid the charge of secrecy, you might start by dropping balaclavas, pseudonyms, and the like when such are not really called for. Other activists might find them off-putting, and passersby, threatening. -- Yoshie