slogans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 30 06:33:42 PST 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Lenin says somewhere that anarchism is the penalty the working class
>pays for its sins of opportunism.

So Lenin said that. That makes it true? You have a habit of quoting him and Mao as if they were scripture.

In the U.S., anarchism comes out of a very different historical and cultural context from what it did in Russia. And a lot of today's anarchists are anarchists because they find the secrecy and discipline of a Leninist party to contradict everything the revolution they'd like to make should stand for. I'm not an anarchist, but I sure understand why so many radicals today, especially younger ones, find it appealing.

Doug