Cooper on KPFK

rhisiart at earthlink.net rhisiart at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 11:17:07 PST 2002

At 09:10 AM 1/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>rhisiart at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>>as i've said before, doug, i believe you're letting your friendship with
>>cooper cloud your judgement.
>
>Besides, since the real question is, as Jeff Greenfield might say, where
>do we go from here?, I think the fact that Cooper does the kind of radio
>that Pacifica should be doing more of counts for something, doesn't it?

sure. evidently you missed a few of cooper's programs on KPFK where he ranted and lied about the pacifica situation. he was the only one allowed to air what corrupt KPFK management called "dirty linen" because he was on the station manager's team. and, as usual, he failed to tell the truth. anyone with an opposing opinion would have been pulled off the air in two seconds flat. that's not what i call the "kind of radio that Pacifica should be doing." that's Cooper radio.

now tell me, who else besides you and cooper do you think does the kind of radio pacifica needs. anybody?

personally, a liar like cooper doesn't belong on pacifica. cooper is a man whose "principles" only come into play when they benefit him personally. my opinion counts too, right?

>Point kind of gets lost in all the assignment of black hats and white.
>
>Doug

you assigned the hats, doug, by running cooper's essays without criticism and with no contrasting opinion. you could have culled what you considered useful, constructive information from them rather than running them warts, lies and all. your action in posting cooper's rants was not a "where do we go from here" response. it wasn't constructive. you've given cooper a white hat which is totally undeserved. you let cooper assign hats by posting his highly biased, self-serving essays.

when i read you saying we should only think about "where do we go from here" it makes me think of the Bush administration flunkies complaining about the "blame game" whenever someone asks how the WTC disaster could have happened in the first place, and what can we do to fix that problem so it doesn't happen again.

the point of looking at cooper's propaganda realistically isn't to make him look good. it's to give thought to what went wrong with pacifica that allowed this disaster to happen. to look at why people like cooper are supporting those who caused the disaster. to understand history so the new board and pacifica listeners can do their best not to let this happen again.

studying the mess doesn't mean people aren't going forward. it's you and cooper that keep bringing up a past which didn't exist. and that needs to be exposed. a man who lies like cooper is no role model for a pacifica radio station; let him go with commercial radio, such as NPR has become, where a man who's lost his principles belongs.

if cooper wants to defend himself, let him get on the list and post. i'd love to hear his answers when confronted by his lies. he's assiduously avoided going toe to toe with any of his critics.