Info on Washington think tank?

Timothy Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Wed Jan 30 20:02:58 PST 2002

I was poking around the 2000 tax return for the Kenneth P. and Linda K. Lay Foundation (http://www.guidestar.org/pdf/2000/760/454/2000-760454168-1-F.pdf)

The Lay Foundation planned, according to charts in the return, donations of $500,000 per year from 2002 to 2004 to Resources for the Future, a think tank in Washington, D.C. Given that almost all of the Foundation's assets (shares of ENE) are now essentially worthless, those planned donations are very much ephemeral.

I welcome any ionsight as to the ideology behind RFF. Their website (rff.org) is at once informative and opaque. Ken Lay is on its board, along with a bunch of well-connected folks (e.g., John Deutch--hope he doesn't leave computers at board meetings--and an executive from the Carlyle Group). They seem very much into market solutions for environmental problems. Are they just bleeding-heart capitalists? Or am I missing something?

Tim Francis-Wright