Negri's Post 9/11 Interview With Multitudes

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jan 30 14:41:09 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Thomas Seay crossposted:

> Ruptures Within Empire, The Power of Exodus
> An Interview with Toni Negri by Giuseppe Cocco and
> Maurizio Lazzarato
>
> Translated from the French journal Multitudes (Issue
> No. 7) by Thomas Seay and Hydrarchist
>
> and will necessarily be so for a long time. For the
> moment, it is above all the North American bosses who
> exercise this domination. Immediately behind them are
> the Europeans, the Russians, and the Chinese. They

Negri is a terrific ideologist, but I wince whenever he talks about the world-system. To cover the main howlers: Russia has a GDP of maybe 280 billion EUR; China has passed the 1 trillion EUR mark, but is still an agrarian nation in the throes of early industrialization, and its developmental state continues to resist the neolibs tooth and nail. Japan, at 4.6 trillion EUR, doesn't show up on the radar (someone should inform Sony, Matsushita, Nintendo and Docomo that they officially don't exist).

The stuff on biopower and not regressing to the trap of the national is good, though.

-- Dennis