Negri on PA [edited]

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Thu Jan 31 03:57:56 PST 2002

Negri:

>The capital of Saudi oil barons >is so completely integrated into >the
mangement of American >affairs that we can really no >longer say that the nation->state still functioning. And >Chevenement himself is unable >to restrain the appetite of the >Corsican
>people for autonomy. >Nationalism is a form that is no >longer functional.
>And sovereignty is a dangerous >illusion."

Oh come on. Nationalism has often made nation states pretty dysfunctional, and many empires have rolled on foreign capital.

Surely the exercise in illusion is changing American society on the scale (materially, ideologically) of the New Deal, as well as making some interests a lot of money. Bush (doesn't his clan's portfolio diversify in defense, construction, and mineral fuels? perhaps some waste management in there too) plans to fund the homeland defense and the dept. of defense upwards to the tune of an additional 100 billion dollars. Add that to what is already being spent on military, intelligence and law enforcement at the federal level alone. The US is set to roll!

Charles Jannuzi