Russia and booze

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 5 05:58:23 PDT 2002

.
>By the way, one reason Putin is liked is that he doesn't drink.

Sort alike our Prez here . . . .

...!"

>The punk-ska group Leningrad, which sings "hooligan songs"

Russian gangsta rap? . Btw, the 100,000 a year figure for Russians who froze to death while drunk isn't that crazy if you extrapoloate from your 500 a year in Moscow alone. You are right about not trying top keep up with a Russian drinking. Don't even try, Do they still sell vodka in bottles with tear off (not scew-on) caps?

Apropos your standard of living figures, $1,500/a month in DC is poverty. My standard of laving in Chicago is affluent. I'm a lawyer, remember? So I'm not a good comparison with any normal people. Yes, '93 was the last time I was in Moscow/St. Petersburg. Actually I was surprised by how poor it was not, but there was real desolation in the towns between. Looked sorta like Kalamazoo, Mich., Akron, Oh., or Highland Park, (near Detriot), maybe worse.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx