Follow the bouncing Capitalist

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Fri Jul 5 13:38:07 PDT 2002

Paula wrote:

> Monday July 1, 11:04 am Eastern Time Press Release SOURCE: Gold

> Fields Limited Rupert Pennant-Rea Joins Gold Fields Board JOHANNESBURG,

> South Africa, July 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Board of Directors

> of Gold Fields Limited (NYSE: GFI; JSE) is pleased to announce that

> Mr Rupert Pennant-Rea has been appointed as a non-executive

> Director of the Company. <snip>

> He is now Chairman of The Stationery Office, which was formed in

> 1996 from the privatisation of Her Majesty's Stationery Office. He

> is also Chairman of Plantation & General Investments plc and

> Electra Kingsway VCT. He is a Non-Executive Director of British

> American Tobacco, ***Sherritt International*** and First Quantum

> Minerals.

And therefore he is banned from coming to the United States, and for this story and why Pennant-Rea was called "The Bonk of England" http://www.observer.co.uk/cuba/story/0,10805,527324,00.html

His answer to why he stayed on as a director of Sherritt after the *Clinton* administration banned him under Helms-Burton: " 'Around the world 150 countries would agree that this legislation is misguided. When your own government is pressing the US hard to stop applying this legislation you cannot throw up your hands and say you give up. You have to stick with it. It is a matter of principle. We are in this for the duration and we stick together. Perhaps we ought to form some sort of club.' "

john mage