communism2

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Jul 9 01:42:21 PDT 2002

This is a reply by the same source that I posted earlier to some of the questions of choice, control and regulation in a communist world. Tahir

I think that in communist society, as indeed today, there will be a distinction between what the individual is free to decide to do and decisions which are taken collectively. I imagine there's going to be no argument that decisions about what to eat, how to dress, what opinions to express, who to live with, sexual orientation, etc should be left to individuals. In fact, with free access (without having to pay either with money or vouchers)to the consumer goods and services that have been made available, decisions about what to eat will no longer depend on the amount of money you have in your pocket but on what you, yourself, decide you want. It will mean an immense extension of the area of individual freedom of choice. On the other hand, decisions about traffic regulations, protection of the environment, where to build a road, etc will be collective, taken democratically by a properly constituted body in a proper way. So, there'll have to be the equivalent of a "constitution" (setting out decision-making procedures which must be followed if a decision is to be valid). What happens if someone breaks one or other of these rules decided by democratic, majority decision? If, for instance, you're caught driving when drunk? Then procedures would be set in motion which could lead to you having your driving licence taken away (I imagine). Communism cannot be a completely "anarchist" society with no rules and regulations taken by majority decision and no come-back if you don't respect them. But I would have thought the vast majority of people will respect them the vast majority of the time (just as we do today, even though we don't have much say in deciding them). What happens if you run amok with an axe trying to kill people? You'll be restrained, maybe, after a hearing before properly constituted medical or other tribunal, for a while. The same fate could befall you if you persistently drink and drive or persistently beat up women (or men). Having said this, over 90 percent of so-called "crimes" today are crimes against property and a good proportion of the rest arises from the way the money system screws people up. So we'll talking about a greatly reduced problem here. Some questions called "moral" will no doubt continue to be the subject of controversy, such as euthanasia, putting down the severly handicapped at birth, genetic engineering of humans. How will they be solved? Don't ask me, I don't know and can't know. It'll be up to the people around at the time to come up with something. Communism is not going to be a perfect, problem-free society. It will be a society which will provide the framework within which problems can be solved democratically with human welfare rather than profit as the guiding principle. And of course because the details will have to be decided democratically is one reason why we can't (and shouldn't) lay down any detailed blueprint today. We can only talk in generalities such as common ownership, democratic control and production solely for use not same or profit and distribution not via money but according to the principle of "from each according to their ability, to each according to their needs" Adam PS Apologies to all the others on the network who already know all this.