Punishment, Re: Centralization

michael pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 9 12:34:29 PDT 2002

I was trying, in my usual elliptical way to say that the crisis in the ex-Yugoslavia, was to use some Freudian-Althusserian jargon, overdetermined in a complex unity by material and ideological factors. The Michael Sells article and his book from UC Press, "Religion and Genocide in Bosnia, " which I got at our anarchist bookstore in S.F., focuses on the ethno-religious nationalism of the Serbs and Croats. Not that he and I aren't w/o criticisms of the mostly secular Bosnian Muslims. Read or Re-read that long piece that uses categories derived from the autonomist marxists and anarcho-libertarian communism from the UK journal Wildcat on working class struggles and class recomposition and decomposition in the 80's. Susan Woodward from Brookings has a piece in the Verso anthology ed. by Tariq Ali that goes into the more strictly material factors in the break-up of the ex-Yugo and does french trot Catherine Samary in her, "Yugoslavia Dismembered, " for Monthly Review Press. The political maneuvering in Serbian politics in the 90's are brilliantly set out in volumnious detail in the Robert Thomas book published here in the US from Columbia, over in the UK, by Cambridge, if memory serves. "The Politics of Serbia in the 90's." For entertainment purposes, there is, "NATO in the Balkans, " and another newer collection from WWP/IAC/ANSWER that reduces all to the German BND and the the CIA.

On a past thread, btw, see, the latest In These Times, for Ian Williams positive review of, "A Problem From Hell: America In the Age of Genocide." Ian is the UN correspondent of The Nation. Was, in the early 70's, briefly in a M-L sect in the UK. On the unofficial DSA list, he offers pointed polemics against those DSA comrades that are more inclined towards Zionist positions. He writes also for a very informative monthly, Washington Report on Middle East Affairs. WRMEA, has a wide range of views from left to right. Along with the journal from MERIP, it has broadened my knowledge of Palestine and Israel. Michael Pugliese