individualist anarchism

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Wed Jul 10 22:12:14 PDT 2002

> I think there was a 19th century German call Max Stirner who as a sort
> of proto-randite. He preached a form of individualist anarchism based on
> absolute personal selfishness - including a right do anything you had
> the strength to get away with. I heard gossip that his wife left him
> because he was too sexually selfish for her; I found this too juicy to
> research and spoil with an actual fact.
>
> In all fairness some people have argued to me that this view unfairly
> caricatures Stirner.

It does. Unlike Rand, Stirner was opposed to Private Property (as it restricts individual liberty). One can argue for anarcho-communism on the basis of Stirnerite individualism.

-- Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ - http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every Post-War American president would have to be hanged." - Noam Chomsky