individualist anarchism

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Wed Jul 10 22:45:24 PDT 2002

I think there was a 19th century German call Max Stirner who as a sort of proto-randite. He preached a form of individualist anarchism based on absolute personal selfishness - including a right do anything you had the strength to get away with. I heard gossip that his wife left him because he was too sexually selfish for her; I found this too juicy to research and spoil with an actual fact.

In all fairness some people have argued to me that this view unfairly caricatures Stirner. If you have way too much free time on your hands, and want to decide for yourself, you can find his key essay at:

http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/stirner/theego0.html