don't boycott israeli academics

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jul 13 10:37:53 PDT 2002

With Chomsky, I'd say divestment is o.k., targeting Israeli citizens is not (unless there is some egregious state connection).

But none of this matters much, IMO. Right now the initiative is with Sharon and Bush. Otherwise things are pretty frozen. What they do next determines what we will argue about, and potentially, try to mobilize around.

mbs

This boycott gives me the creeps. I'd boot a Sharon enthusiast off an editorial board, but not Israelis in general. Should I boycott my Israeli shrink, or does she get an exemption because she works on the Upper West Side? Was there anything comparable in the South African sanctions (or sanctions movement)?

Doug