FT: Kosovo Ombudsman's critique

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jul 14 02:09:49 PDT 2002

[The full report is at

http://www.ombudspersonkosovo.org/reports_annual.htm

It's the last one, issued July 10th. The introduction could have been written by David Chandler.

FWIW, I've done a couple of news searches and this mini-mention is the only notice I've seen in the English speaking online nonsubscriber press.]

WORLD NEWS: UN criticised over Kosovo By Eric Jansson Financial Times; Jul 13, 2002

United Nations officials in Kosovo engaged in a war of words yesterday over the organisation's human rights record in the breakaway Yugoslav province. This follows a stinging attack on the local UN interim administration by the ombudsman it hired to oversee whether it observes the law.

The Kosovo Ombudsman Institution's annual report includes a string of charges against the UN mission in Kosovo (Unmik). The report's central criticism is that the mission wields dictatorial control while lacking a democratic mandate, as a government set up by foreign powers.

Simon Haselock, Unmik's director of public information, defended the interim administration, saying Kosovo remained too unstable for ordinary government. Eric Jansson, Belgrade