anti-stalinism

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 14 03:18:00 PDT 2002

> I see you are still placing totalitarianism in scare quotes.

---

Carrol presumably puts 'totalitarianism' in scare quotes because there is no such animal as the Arendtian conception of the total state stifling any and all dissent, at any and all levels, at the service of ideology. This is a caracture. It didn't even happen under Stalin.

In my opinion, calling the post-Stalin USSR totalitarian is iffy at best. (And I know people who were harrassed by the KGB -- as well as people who worked for the KGB. They are everywhere in the FSU. The owner of a nice art-fart cafe in downtown Moscow is ex-KGB.)