Request for info: collegiality in tenure decisions

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 15 08:03:44 PDT 2002

>Back in the late 80's or early 90's there was a civil rights
>or federal employment law case regarding tenure decisions at
>universities. IIRC, a woman failed to get tenure in a
>male dominated dept. where she was easily as qualified as
>men who'd recently been tenured. She brought suit for sex
>discrimination and the univ tried to defend itself by making
>appeals to the notion of 'collegiality' as a criterion in
>making tenure decisions. I think this argument was also
>being used to sheild the notes or minutes of the
>deliberations involved, but am not sure.
>
>Does anybody remember this case? Any info wwould be
>appreciated.

A search on "sex discrimination" tenure collegiality in the Courts of appeals database turns up nothing useful. This is closest:

Dec. P 43,883

United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit. Cynthia J. FISHER, Plaintiff-Appellee-Cross-Appellant, v. VASSAR COLLEGE, Defendant-Appellant-Cross-Appellee. Nos. 1799, 1303 and 2275, Docket Nos. 94-7737, 94-7785 and 94-9125. Argued March 20, 1995. Decided Sept. 7, 1995. As Amended Dec. 14, 1995