Tight-Lipped Old Hands

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Jul 15 22:41:58 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/15/02 7:06:15 PM, owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com writes:

Chuck Grimes wrote:
>I have systematically down graded my skill, efficiency, craft and
>knowledge at work for the last twenty years working in private
>shops. In the last dozen years I almost never show newer workers
>anything either, and certainly never explain anything to a boss,
>manager, or supervisor. I learned that detailed teaching skills are
>the fast track to being replaced by cheaper labor.

Tell it. I've done this with both office and technical knowledge. Nothing like this system for killing off our natural tendency to share knowledge and teach. It eats at what's left of the soul to see some new person floundering around and deliberately not help. Sorry, but... gotta be anti-social in hopes of a continuing paycheck. And don't forget to check the ol' employee mentality at the door and become a fully functioning socially-adjusted human at quitting time.

While I root for the workers anyday in these class skirmishes, when we talk about how work *should* be, I do think we should distinguish between our building downtime into a job (pace *should* be determined by those who do the work) and witholding knowledge from coworkers (which is of course bad if we want a functioning society).

> How to change it......................?

good illustration to remind ourselves and each other that these tricks we use are survival tactics and not any kind of way to live...

Jenny Brown Alachua County Labor Party