sodomy in the USA

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Jul 16 13:52:25 PDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 at 3:50pm Doug Henwood wrote:

> Six states, including Arkansas, maintain "same-sex" sodomy
> statutes
>
> *Arkansas--Ark.Code Ann. 5-14-122 (Repl.1997)
>
> *Kansas--Kan. Stat. Ann. 21-3505 (1995)
>
> *Michigan--Mich. Comp. Laws Ann. 750.158, .338(a)-(b)(1991)
>
> *Missouri--Mo Rev. Stat. 566.090 (1999)
>
> *Oklahoma--Okla. Stat tit. 21 886(1983)
>
> *Texas--Tex. Penal Code Ann. 21.06 (1989).

I don't think this is correct, but i may not know how to read these legal citations and so am confused by what seems to be the date of the statute above (1989).

In the early 90's there was a case in TX called *Morales* named fo the lesbian that tried to get a job with the Dallas Police. She was denied the job on the basis that she was a lesbian and homosex is illegal in TX. She sued to overturn the statute citing the TX constitutional right to privacy. She won in the trial court, but was overturned on appeal because she didn't have standing because she hadn't been prosecuted under that law, just denied a job because of it. Cute, no?

Anyhow, the ever vigilant TX legislature fearing further constituional challenges to these important laws on the basis of sexual discrimination ammended the homosex only anti-sodomy law to include hetsex as well. The vote was actually fairly close, but upon passage the two legislators reponsible for the new law "high-fived" each other causing Molly Ivins to quip that they had just broken their own law , what with a prick touching an asshole like that.

-- no Onan

Undefeated, everybody goes home