obesity in America: who cares?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jul 24 19:25:49 PDT 2002

>Kelley wrote:
>
>High GIs (above 70): White bread, wheat bread (they are a couple
>points diff on the glycemic index!), unsweetened breakfast cereals
>(shredded wheat, puffed wheat, Special K, Rice Crispies, Corn
>Flakes), sports drinks containing glucose, potatoes, couscous, rice
>cakes, dried fruit (raisins, prunes, etc), pineapple, carrots,
>watermelon, nutri grain bars, frozen tofu desserts, long grain white
>rice.
>
>Med GIs (55-70): tropical fruit, sugar, soft drinks, low fat and
>regular ice cream, and drinks containing sugar or *ose s such as
>dextrose, maltodextrose, sucrose, rice (short grain white or brown,
>about the same), oranges, banana, pasta, chocolate, pumpernickel,
>oat bran bread, high fiber rye crisps, peanuts, corn, sweet potatoes.
>
>Low GIs (up to 55): cold weather fruit, potato chips, ice cream,
>apples, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, dairy, lentils,
>beans/legumes, oats, buckwheat, barley, sugar free ice cream, yogurt
>(fruit and sugar sweetened), pastas, peas.
>

>take yourself off the high and medium GIs--even the stuff that is
>supposedly "good for you". you will be amazed at how much more
>energy you have.
>

>kelley

Yes, that has been my experience. In fact the High and Med GIs make me so tired I sometimes just go to sleep after eating them. Why? Because they make my pancreas produce so much insulin to balance blood sugar levels due to carb overload.

And staying away from low GIs -- that is, sticking to a protein and vegetable diet (one measure of protein to two measures of veggies) -- is the most energizing of all. No peaks and drops from blood sugar sways. It is a good way to lose weight too. marta --