Znet "Disability Rights Watch"

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jul 26 09:36:34 PDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Michael, that is all true, but NYC is NOT the US. That can be
> demonstrated, inter alia, by the road sign on the west bound I-80 on the
> PA state line that reads (if memory serves) "America starts here."

BTW, that's an amusing image Wojtek, but it must be apocryphal. I-80 crosses into Pennsylvania at the Delware Water Gap, which is on the border between Pennsylvania and *New Jersey.* New York City is 70 miles east.

But it is an old joke for people traveling abroad to be asked whether they are Americans and to answer No, I'm a New Yorker.

Michael