Znet "Disability Rights Watch"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 26 12:47:34 PDT 2002

At 12:36 PM 7/26/2002 -0400, michael wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > Michael, that is all true, but NYC is NOT the US. That can be
> > demonstrated, inter alia, by the road sign on the west bound I-80 on the
> > PA state line that reads (if memory serves) "America starts here."
>
>BTW, that's an amusing image Wojtek, but it must be apocryphal. I-80
>crosses into Pennsylvania at the Delware Water Gap, which is on the border
>between Pennsylvania and *New Jersey.* New York City is 70 miles east.

I swear I saw the sign a few years ago, although I cannot be sure of the exact wording and the location. Besides, NJ is New York's bedroom community, and the Poconos Mountains are one of the favorite weekend destinations for New Yorkers - so the placement of the sign at the Delaware Water Gap seems an appropriate reminder for the pesky newyowkers that they are crossing into a foreign territory.

wojtek