lbo-talk-digest V1 #6480

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 13:15:10 PDT 2002

Carrol:

> And how are things? Please explain.

Dreadful, thanks for asking!

When you wrote that "readable" is "a text that says nothing that the reader does not already know and believe", you apparently did so without ever having read a copy of the Village Voice or Z. I appreciate your pedagogic interest in trying to specify the meanings of terms (it's downright charming), but I think most list members have dictionaries and well developed faculties for reading comprehension.

His heart is blacker than night, but Bob Novack, for example, surprises regularly.

True, Novack is an oddity, but that's not the point here and it wasn't the point of the Monitor article. "The right" holds a series of media properties, losing appreciably on most. The left has Z, a ghetto from which few inhabitants escape.

The Nation has its wealthy patrons and is itself usually pretty good. But it stands alone, while The Weekly Standard enjoys the company of National Review and others. There's a whole network of allied right-wing rags where conservative writers can throw bombs and explode fireworks.