Tanzim intended to stop terrorism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 27 10:25:26 PDT 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

>It is just so fucking easy to sit and dream up what "we" (whoever we is)
>should say or call for. It is so fucking hard to find and/or build a
>responsive audience willing to listen and capable of acting powerfully.
>
>And don't say (as Doug has frequently said in response to posts like
>this), "Well then, should we just sit around and do nothing?" That is
>pointless because "calling" for this or that is just a disguised way of
>sitting around and doing nothing while pretending to oneself that one is
>doing something.

I hate to treat someone's politics as a psychological symptom - in no small part because someone might do that to me, and I would't enjoy it - but this combination of weird fatalism punctuated with ad hominem insults reads more like clinical depression than a philosophy of life.

You claim to be a big fan of Lenin's "just do it" ethic (and this is the Lenin featured in Zizek's new Lenin book). The Lenin/Zizek point is that the intervention can change the circumstances politics happen in. What are you waiting for? Some propitious, magically achieved transformation of collective consciousness? Happening how?

I think it's better to sit around and pretend to do something than to sit around and grumble about how nothing can be done until...whenever.

Doug