disability population

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 26 14:01:01 PDT 2002

At 01:35 PM 7/26/2002 -0700, marta wrote:

>I have a friend who is bipolar. He was misdiagnosed with ADD when he was
>22 and put on dexadrine -- basically that is speed. He became
>addicted. The shrink kept increasing his dose until he collapsed and had
>to go into drug rehabilitation. It took over 6 months to get his body off
>this chemical. He noted that most of the people in drug rehab were
>casualities of the psychiatric and drug industries.

Marta, I do not understand your logic. On the one hand, you seem to demand more services and a broad-based institutional approach to assist the disabled - which makes a lot of sense from where I stand. On the other hand, however, you seem to embrace various crackpot views denouncing the helping professions and institutions - which in my mind directly contradicts the first position. How can one help the disabled by denouncing the institutions designed to help them? Any clarification will be appreciated.

wojtek