disability population

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 14:21:22 PDT 2002

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> At 01:35 PM 7/26/2002 -0700, marta wrote:
>
> >I have a friend who is bipolar. He was
> misdiagnosed with ADD when he was
> >22 and put on dexadrine -- basically that is speed.
> He became
> >addicted. The shrink kept increasing his dose
> until he collapsed and had
> >to go into drug rehabilitation. It took over 6
> months to get his body off
> >this chemical. He noted that most of the people in
> drug rehab were
> >casualities of the psychiatric and drug industries.

> Marta, I do not understand your logic. On the one
> hand, you seem to demand
> more services and a broad-based institutional
> approach to assist the
> disabled - which makes a lot of sense from where I
> stand. On the other
> hand, however, you seem to embrace various crackpot
> views denouncing the
> helping professions and institutions - which in my
> mind directly
> contradicts the first position. How can one help
> the disabled by
> denouncing the institutions designed to help them?
> Any clarification will
> be appreciated.

It's not about denouncing them but critiquing them?

There's a big difference in treatment quality and post-treatment options depending on the institution and the funding it gets. Obviously, pointing out what needs change or improvement is not a denouncement tout court. DRCnet has run articles on poorly run, abusive treatment situations.

Alec