Tanzim intended to stop terrorism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 05:18:15 PDT 2002

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > I would suggest heeding Doug's wise advice, offered in a different
>context
> > on the list a short time ago: "Given the state of things right now,
>it's
> > more imperative than ever that people on 'our' side not be naive,
> > obfuscating, sentimental, or stupid." In this instance, I think such a
> > stance requires calling for an end to all U.S. financial and military
> > support of Israel immediately.
> >

>... don't say (as Doug has frequently said in response to posts like
>this), "Well then, should we just sit around and do nothing?" That is
>pointless because "calling" for this or that is just a disguised way of
>sitting around and doing nothing while pretending to oneself that one is
>doing something.
>
>Carrol

On the contrary, the national state of denial is so profound that there is value in doing nothing more than pointing out the obvious: that Americans do *not* have to be held hostage to Ariel Sharon's endless provocations and war crimes, all sponsored by the U.S. My original comment, after all, was in response to Brad's disingenuous remark that "Americans are horrified [by the Mideast] but they have no clue what can be done to make the situation better." Well, my fellow Americans and LBOers, the "clue" is right there in plain sight. Without US support, the Israeli war machine would be kaput; Israel would be reduced to a pariah state with rapidly dwindling resources; and the Israelis would be forced to deal with Palestinian grievances in a responsible manner. End of problem.

Carl