No subject

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Jul 27 13:07:41 PDT 2002

Actually I just read the Wills book that his "Why I Am A Catholic" follows up on. It’s called, PAPAL SINS, and, like everything Wills does, it’s good. He explains at the end why he’s a Christian, mostly because Jesus, and St. Augustine, were honest and didn’t lie. (I’m not doing him justice exactly.).
>From what he says in it I’m not sure why he’s a Catholic specifically, since
he challenges a whole range of Catholic notions. Maybe this new book goes into detail.

By the way, Michael, your father got his annulment cheap, from what I hear. $450 is cut-rate. Not long ago I was asked to be a witness at the annulment of a former roommate’s marriage, at which, in 1968, I was an usher. The Diocese of Rockville Center wanted me to write an essay of two pages each about five questions. Couldn’t bring my self to do it.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:36:01 -0700 From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> Subject: Re: catholics (wasRe: Nation Books vs. Nation magazine

Peter K., Gary Wills has a new book, "Why I Am A Catholic." Tried to lend my step-Mom, "Cry of the People, " by the late left Catholic writer, Penny Lernoux, on US imperialism, death squads and the Church. Too many grim pgs, she passed.

Last week I was in the 'burbs of L.A. for my Dad's re-committment ceremony to my step-Mom. He was married to my Mom for 23 yrs, D-I-V-O-R-C-E was in '79. In order to be in heaven with my step-Mom he just got the 1st marriage annuled. The Church has a set of 33 questions as part of the process. It only cost $450. Michael Pugliese P.S. Carter's grain embargo was 'cuz of the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan, US also withdrew the Olympic teams to the Moscow Olympics in '80. P.P.S. Gary Wills interviewed Ross Perot once. Perot called him a pointy-headed, egg head, East Coast elitest intellectual. Wills said I teach in the mid-West. Somewhere in Illinois I think.