drug withdrawal

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Jul 27 18:32:40 PDT 2002

Carrol wrote:

>I was on Paxil (maximum dosage) for several years, and went off it with
>no trouble. I don't doubt that it is causing trouble for some -- but
>when a drug has effects (positive or negative) for only a part of those
>who take it, then it would be difficult, I should think, to establish
>any clear causal relationship.

I think the percentage of people who have trouble is more like 75% or higher. Drugs like Klonopin, Ativan, etc are labeled addictive but there are some people who can go off them without symptoms.
>My doc put me on Paxil for pain. I went through a horrendous
>withdrawal from Paxil and still am having aftereffects some 5 months
>later. I experienced insomnia, extreme nausea, muscle pain, panic
>attacks, agitation, anxiety, nightmares, and what I now know to be
>pre-seizure symptoms trying to get off this drug. I came very close
>to committing suicide. I wound up in the UCLA emergency room during
>my withdrawl. The doc there concluded that it was the Paxil, she
>had heard of it doing this to others. I did not know it at the time
>but I was having pre-seizure symptoms. It was the scariest thing I
>have ever experienced in my life. It felt like I was going to lose
>it and never come back.

I have never had a panic attack before in my life and believe that the Paxil created this condition.

>If you go to the web site http://www.quitpaxil.org/ and scroll down
>to the "RANT" section you will find hundreds of similar testimony.

Marta