drug withdrawal

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 27 14:40:54 PDT 2002

I was on Paxil (maximum dosage) for several years, and went off it with no trouble. I don't doubt that it is causing trouble for some -- but when a drug has effects (positive or negative) for only a part of those who take it, then it would be difficult, I should think, to establish any clear causal relationship. As I said in an earlier post, psychopharmacology and neuropsychiatry are in a pretty primitive state. And as I also observed, for research to be in the hands of drug companies is necessarily disruptive. A company has a motive _not_ to release a new drug while an earlier drug is still under patent. It is also counter-productive (for a drug company) to explore new uses for old medications now available as generics. The discovery in recent years of numerous new uses of aspirin is notable for the rare occurrence of such discoveries. Also of course, very little research is done on possible combinations (destructive and useful) of current medications. The prescription by different physicians of drugs which turn out to have disastrous mutual effects is becoming more common.

Carrol