Marx on Greens

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Jul 28 11:30:34 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> >Ulhas Joglekar :
> >Sorry, I wasn't accurate. Famines have occurred in Asia in recent years.
> >North Korea and Afghanistan have had famines.
> >
> >India eliminated famines 50 years ago.
> >
> >Ulhas
>
> ***** Hunger: Old torments and new blunders
>
> Amartya Sen
>
> ...It is not that nothing has been achieved in India over the
> half-century or more since independence in 1947. Positive things have
> certainly happened. First, the rapid elimination of famines in India
> with independence is an achievement of great importance (the last
> sizeable famine occurred in 1943 - four years before independence),
> and this is certainly an accomplishment that contrasts with the
> failure of many other developing countries to prevent famine.

I don't know what is Yoshi's point. That India has eliminated famines (my point above) is confirmed by this citation from Sen.

If the point is about malnutrition (not the point Jim Heartfield made to which I responded), I have posted Jean Dreze's article (cited by Sen above) on both lbo-talk and Marxism long ago. See my two posts India: Starving the Poor published in The Hindu. These were posted by me on lbo list on 5 May, 2002. I had posted the same article on Marxism list on 13 April, 2001. Yoshi could look up the archives.

India is an open society, unlike the self-styled proletarian dictatorships, past as well as present.

Ulhas