Why India needs transgenic crops

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jul 29 18:16:41 PDT 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:
> I once debated Borlaug in Santa Barbar. Actually, he was not able to show
up
> and had to debate via a TV hookup.
>
> Of course, he is supportive of the Green Rev. and now GE crops. He was
> considered to be the key innovator of the GR. Also, since winning his
Nobel, he
> has become increasingly political.
>
> I don't know if we want to debate the GR here. I would only note that you
have
> to look at the hysterical rhetoric -- invoking Lysenko and the Dark Ages,
e.g.
> -- to be sceptical of what he says. He is not all wrong, but he is
farther off
> the target than Shiva.

Where does he go wrong, Michael? What are the credible alternatives for the developing nations? The list of bad objects (for the Left) includes hybrid seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, GM crops, dams, hydropower, nuclear reactors, cars etc. etc.

Surely, we need to make life less difficult for poor.

Ulhas