Why India needs transgenic crops

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Jul 29 18:28:29 PDT 2002

The US model is not particularly productive. It was designed to save labor; US yields are actually fairly low.

What the poor need is land reform, cheap credit (in a market context), acess to water. The GR gives none of that.

Over the long run, the increased used of fertilizer in that climate will lead to more soil salinization [as is the problem in the California central valley].

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu