Why India needs transgenic crops

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jul 29 18:53:04 PDT 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:
> The US model is not particularly productive. It was designed to save
> labor; US yields are actually fairly low.
>
> What the poor need is land reform, cheap credit (in a market context),
> acess to water. The GR gives none of that.

Surely, there have been land reforms on China and Vietnam. And poor peasants there can get cheap credit from banks even if they are insolvent. How does Cuba manage its agriculture? Without fertilizers?

Surely, there are Vandana Shivas in Beijing, Hanoi and Havana. Why we don't we hear those voices?

Ulhas