Question for the list

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Tue Jul 30 07:20:23 PDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> I would imagine that once you get out of junior high, the intelligent,
> however that is measured, are treated better;

I wonder about that. I don't think that it's intelligence so much as communications skills. One of the most difficult and most beneficial things I've learned since university is to stop talking when someone isn't listening. (Well, it was hard for me. :-) To be bright but have poor communications skills is to be a bore, or worse, a mark.

> the altrustic, however that is
> measured, are probably taken advantage of. They might not mind though. jks

By any definition of altruism the altruistic strive to be "taken advantage of", to give disproportionately to their personal benefit. I don't think that they're looked down upon; organizations, especially team-based organizations, need a certain number of altruists to survive, to take mentorship or team-building roles.

m.