Question for the list

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jul 30 00:10:08 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 8:19 PM Subject: Re: Question for the list

> I would imagine that once you get out of junior high, the intelligent,
> however that is measured, are treated better;

My own speculation is that those possessing traits commonly accepted as desirable are treated better. However, I wonder if there is much actual research in support of my conjecture. Those arguing that the beautiful are treated better (in my limited skimming of the literature) seem to present there findings as though they were somehow shocking. My natural response as a reader was to think, hmm, well, that's something less than a surprise, and I'll bet those who possess a number of other desirable personal traits enjoy like treatment.

> the altrustic, however that is measured, are probably taken advantage of.

This may have been an awful example to pick on my part, because the answer will vary considerably depending upon what sort of behaviors are considered "genuinely" altruistic or are merely "reciprocal" in nature. I've heard of games where the generous are disproportionately rewarded later on by other participants.

> They might not mind though. jks

Ah, yes, "Let me tell you about the very altruistic. They are different from you and me."

-- Luke