Halle weighs in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 30 07:22:57 PDT 2002

[Two more from John Halle. I'll assert my moderator's privilege and take issue with the claim that the archives are full of neo-Marxist minutiae. There's all kinds of stuff in there. He's not suggesting that any theoretical discussion is irrelevant, or that the test of a discourse is its immediate relevance to organizing, is he?]

>At 6:25 PM -0400 7/29/02, John Halle wrote:
>>[How does John Halle know that listmembers' engagement with "the
>>movement" is "exclusively literary"? I'm guessing that quite a few
>>subscribers are quite active in nonliterary ways. - DH]
>
>John Halle is guessing (or at least suggesting) that the proportion
>of purely literary versus organizational energies undertaken by
>participants on this list is excessively weighted towards the
>former. The terrabytes of neo-Marxist minutiae on the LBO archive
>(the utility of which, from an organizing standpoint is limited, to
>put it mildly) constitute a strong argument for this position.
>
>He could be convinced, I suppose, that more of this verbiage than he
>is currently willing to admit serves to advance progressive
>politics. He could also convinced, more easily, that attempting to
>organize within the Green Party is not the most effective use of
>progressive energies.
>
>But to deny the essential fact of the matter and to deny that the
>despair at the futility of leftist organizations frequently attested
>to here is not a predictable consequence of this imbalance seems to
>him shortsighted.

---