Halle weighs in

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jul 30 08:17:17 PDT 2002

I have to say that I agree with what John says below. From different political perspectives, John, ChuckO and myself have continually noted that there is a pervasive disparagement of activists on LBO that goes beyond intellectual division of labor. My piece of the criticism is that the theory on the list is very theoretical and disconnected from the compromises and bounded choices facing activists day-to-day. The upshot of that is that concrete activists are either dismissed as "sell-outs" without reference to the consequential options they faced, or the successes made within those choices are dissmissed as irrelevant.

Yes, a left perspective has to critique the narrowing of political choices created by hegemonic racist capitalism, but a lot of activists just look at the theorists and say, tell me something I didn't know (and use fewer three-dollar words). What I wish LBO did was use a broader perspective to actually map out longer-term options to challenge that narrowing of choices. Intellectuals should not use their relative disengagement from day-to-day struggle just to critique but should use that luxury to try to envision not the end goals but the ways to circumvent those contraints on the broader strategic map.

My main critique of third party folks is that I have heard a roadmap of how they get from modest success at the local level past the point of cooptation as they attain enough power to have something to lose, and therefore can be subject to political bribery. (See Benie Sanders and committee assignments and Oakland's Audie Bock). Revolutionary change is a multi-round strategic endeavor, yet there is little serious discussion on LBO of articulating the steps to make each round successful-- or even what the rounds of change are needed.

That would be of use to activists if it was compelling.

-- Nathan Newman