Halle weighs in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 30 08:38:07 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Yes, a left perspective has to critique the narrowing of political choices
>created by hegemonic racist capitalism, but a lot of activists just look at
>the theorists and say, tell me something I didn't know (and use fewer
>three-dollar words).

And a lot of theorists look at activists and say - what are they doing? Why? What are their goals? How does this little struggle fit into a larger whole? And in my experience, many activists don't even think about the questions, much less have an answer.

For more, see Liza Featherstone, Doug Henwood, and Christian Parenti, "Action Will Be Taken: Left Anti-Intellectualism and Its Discontents," in the premiere issue of Radical Society, now hitting the stores.

Doug