Question for the list

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Tue Jul 30 09:07:40 PDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:
> I once heard it claimed that there's not a single fat CEO of a
> Fortune 500 company. I haven't fact-checked that, but it seems right.

Not to me, certainly. Cheney is more than a little round and he was CEO of Halliburton before buyi^H^H^H^Hascending to the Vice Presidency. Even if you revise your definition of fat from conspicuously overweight to morbidly obese, I think you'd still find a few candidates.

> As I've said before, think how the image of the banker has changed
> from the 300-lb J.P Morgan, who breakfasted on steak, oysters, and
> red wine, to Robert Rubin, marathon-runner.

Consider the increase in average height, that CEOs tend to be at the tall end of the height distribution, and a 300lb CEO is just not what it used to be. Clinton was almost certainly north of 250.

Besides, steak, oysters, and red wine sounds like a fine breakfast to me. Where do I sign up?

Marco