FW: Why India needs transgenic crops

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jul 31 04:47:17 PDT 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:
> The web site you mentioned is that of John Jeavons. I just heard from him
> a week or so ago after 20 years. He has a remarkable program to grow all
> the food a person needs on a tiny plot with 20 minutes a day and no
> pesticides. Ulhas asked if organic farming could feed the world -- maybe
> it was on pen-l. The answer is yes.

Even a middle class family can not afford to buy a small flat, since the land prices are prohibitive in big cities of India. Millons live in slums, pavements etc. Who can afford a tiny plot for farming?

After 8-9 hours at plants, offices or shops (assuming they have jobs in the first place), people spend on average 3 hours in commuting. They don't get 5 day week. They don't get long vacations that judges, lawyers and academics enjoys. After they reach home (if they have one), they have (particularly women have) daily chores like cooking, washing, looking children. Michael wants them to spend extra 20 minutes on tiny farms ! I am sure women will end up doing this thankless task. When do proles get a chance relax, watch a soap on the TV, or meet their friends and relatives?

Ulhas