Why India needs transgenic crops

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jul 31 10:09:45 PDT 2002

ChrisD(RJ) wrote:

> How much are rental prices in India, in, say, the suburbs (assuming India
> has suburbs in the US sense of the term)?

There aren't suburbs in the US sense of the term ! If you have in mind middle class housing, then there are apartments, small in size. Usually purchased with loans from housing finance companies. There is a boom in Housing finance business here. General trend is towards buying small apartments in Metro towns. (Delhi, Calcutta, Mumbai and Chennai are metros with the total pop. of 50-60 million.) In smaller towns, the middle class prefers independent houses. Workers typically live in rented tenements/slums. These can be on the rental basis.

> Also, how easy is it to get land?
> In Russia, it's in effect free (very low population density) assuming
you're
> not too picky about where you want to do whatever it is you're going to do
> with it.

Land is available, if you have money pay for it. But it is typically the developer/builder who buys land. Businesses and individuals don't. They buy constructed property or property under construction. You could buy office space in the most expensive business district in my city at the rate of $300 per sq.ft. This is outright purchase, not the rental basis.

> I must say that Russian food, which is harvested using a relatively low
> level of technological development and not loaded with pesticides, is
leaps
> and bounds better that American food. I swear I never tasted real meat
> before I came here. Kaluga chicken is delicious. Sellers get accused on
> occasion of trying to foist crappy American produce on consumers, claiming
> its domestic and selling at the higher domestic price.

I read recently that Russian army has been asked to forage food. Is the situation that bad?

Ulhas