Pat Buchanan, apologist for terror

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 1 07:38:01 PDT 2002

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Ah, a joke. I see.
>
>So he can be safely relegated to the ranks of "quasi-fascist xenophobes,"
>and we all go back to the comfortable orthodoxies, eh?

Are you implying that Buchanan isn't a nativist bigot after all? That his opposition to empire (and to trade) isn't motivated by xenophobia rather than a principled egalitarian internationalism? That his anxieties about dark-skinned men playing bongos on the streets of his hometown, Washington, aren't alarming? Call me old fashioned, a prisoner of comfortable orthodoxies, but people who profess those beliefs are the enemy. Buchanan is a very skilled polemicist, and very quotable. But he's fundamentally icky.

Doug