Moscow's Shift Forcing China Into a Corner

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon Jun 3 06:23:07 PDT 2002

At 03/06/02 10:16 +0400, you quoted a Stratfor report which seemed to be somewhat gleeful in suggesting that China has been displaced by the USA in influencing Russia. This ended

>Beijing will continue talking to Moscow, buying Russian weapons and putting
>a friendly face on relations. But at the same time, China has seen its
>fortunes wane as Moscow's have risen, and it will do whatever it can to
>undermine U.S.-Russia relations and regain the strategic high ground.

I picked up Beijing Review for May 23 on Saturday. It contains an undeniably cautious article by an individual but one that suggests the Chinese will not be surprised by the situation and will analyse it from many angles.

It starts

The U.S. Role in Sino-Russian Relations

By PANG ZHONGYING

From the Institue of International Studies, Tsinghua University

For the time being, studies on triangular relations related to the United States are very difficult. Regarding its special position in the world, any triangular relationship involving the United States among big powers has already gone beyond traditional types and features with the United States at the center.

Nevertheless, triangular relations among big powers are still tenable. Taking China, Russia and the United States for instance, Russia has the largest territory and the most powerful military strength next only to the United States, and China's population ranks the first in the world. As U.S. hegemony exists, the triangular relations among them are still of the greatest importance, though they have been deformed to a certain degree. Regarding Sino- Russian relations, the U.S. factor plays a special role.

Sino-Russian relations are not a just bilateral relationship. According to the China-Russia Good- Neighborly Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation signed on July 16, 2001, both countries hope to develop a long-term strategic and cooperative partnership based on good neighborliness, friendship, cooperation, equality and trust. Although the two countries have publicly stated that their partnership is not targeted at a third country, such a relationship is hardly limited within the bilateral sphere.

First, Sino-Russian relations are not limited to a regional sphere, but have global significance. The two countries basically share the same views on principles governing international relations, which are opposite that of the United States. That means that China and Russia are standing together against the United States in this regard.

Second, China and Russia are jointly engaged in maintaining global strategic balance and stability. This indicates the cooperation and coordination between China and Russia on the issue of the U.S. national missile defense (NMD) system.

Third, as permanent members of the UN Security Council, China and Russia have expressed their intention to strengthen cooperation within the UN, its Security Council and other UN organizations to ensure the major role of the Security Council in maintaining world peace and security.

Fourth, China and Russia agreed to cooperate in international financial institutions, economic organizations and forums, and would promote each other's entry into these organizations. This dispelled Russia's concerns that China would hinder its entry into the World Trade Organization, as Russia needs to reach an entry agreement with China.