Russia assails Pakistan, India dismisses fears of use of nuclear

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Mon Jun 3 08:49:14 PDT 2002

No Pakistani leader since Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto has been able to stay in power without the support of Pakistani military intelligence (ISI). So, Musharraf has just as much power over the militants as ISI will allow him to have. Since ISI is the historical godfather of Taliban and Al-Qaeda, the answer is "not much". ISI might well allow a tactical slowdown of activity, but there is almost no chance of a long-term change in policy. So, the current crisis might abate, but only to recur.

Michael McIntyre

>>> todda39 at hotmail.com 06/03/02 10:12AM >>>
Chris forwarded:

>Musharraf and other Pakistani officials have insisted they
>are cracking down, and they dispute India's contention that
>Pakistan actively helps the militants.

This reminds me alot of what is heard re recent Israeli presidents and Arafat. How much control does Musharraf have over terrorists/freedom fighters in Pakistan?

Todd