Hinomaru/Kimigayo, La Marseillaise, Etc. Re: Patriotism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:19:55 PDT 2002

>Yes, complicated, but I don't stand up for the Star-Spangled Banner,
>just as I don't stand up for Hinomaru & Kimigayo. In Japan, unlike
>in the States, no leftist berates other leftists for paying no
>obeisance to official symbols of nationalism. The Japanese Left,
>instead, honor people who refuse to stand for them. Hinomaru &
>Kimigayo have got to go -- that's settled among leftists. They are
>irredeemably symbols of the Japanese Empire that raped, pillaged,
>plundered, & generally exploited the peoples of Asia. I don't know
>why American leftists don't feel the same way about the Star-Spangled
>Banner and other official national symbols, after the Mexican War,
>the Spanish-American War, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, Vietnam, Contras, and
>countless other imperial atrocities.

Oh, most leftists agree with you. But I'm a very poor leftist, as many people here will tell you. I'm _just_ left enough to be excluded from an academic post or a postion of trust or profit with the United States, and not quite left enough to be respectable on the left. Alas.

Years ago, when I was much more on the left than I am now (though in fact I do not think thatmy substantive views are all that different), I desperately offended my mom by refusing to stand for the SSB at my little sister's graduation. She barely spoke to me for two months. I don't think it was worth it to make a point. In fact, I think the point could have been better made without teeing her off. As I say, I'm a poor leftist. But you knew that.

jks