Why not emigrate?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 3 15:33:25 PDT 2002

>She's [Arundhati Roy's] what I call a patriot, or anyway someone who
>loves her country. No doubt another blinkered bourgeois ideologue .
>. . . jks

The thing is, American exceptionalism doesn't allow anyone to be a patriot of her own country; it insists that not just Americans but everyone else revere America as "the greatest nation" and prefer it to her own. Regardless that Arundhati Roy is an Indian, not an American, Ian Buruma excoriates her for her criticism of US imperialism: Ian Buruma, "The Anti-American," <http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020429&s=buruma042902&c=1>. -- Yoshie