Hinomaru/Kimigayo, La Marseillaise, Etc. Re: Patriotism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 3 20:01:13 PDT 2002

>Justin says:
> >I was at the Chicago Blues Festival this weekend--everyone should
> >try to make it at least once, we have a great jazz festival too. The
> >evening at the main stage opened the Star Spangled Banner . . . . Shanika
>Coleman (Johnny Coleman's daughter, and
> >she is fucking awesome) singing about being a ghetto child in this
> >so called land of freedom. The crowd loved that too. So it's
> >complicated, not nearly as totalitarian as you suggest.

That's Copeland, sorry. Ornette Coleman, Johnny Copeland, same diff.

>I was there but missed the Star Spangled Banner. Must have been in
>a Port-O-Potty or taking a nap on the lawn.

Well, it wasn't the high point of the show.

>Didn't Marx pull for the North during the Civil War?

He sure did. Sent a missive to old Abe from the IWMA.

Was the SSB played during
>that time?

Yes, though I don't think it had been adopted as the National Anthem. Interestingly, the North also played "Dixie." Both sides played "Ralley Round the Flag," though with different words.

jks