Why not emigrate?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 4 09:07:04 PDT 2002

Ismail Lagardien wrote:

>what happens if you end up in Australia; will you ignore "the
>Aboriginal problem" and the Right-wing thuggery of that government?

Actually, my visit to Australia last July made me realize how important it was that the U.S. has a history - however hypocritical - of welcoming immigrants. Australia doesn't. When I was there, a cabinet minister had just published a book quoting PM Howard as saying there are too many Asians walking the streets of Australian cities. While senior American politicians might think such things, they wouldn't dare say them, and that's a good thing in my book.

Doug