Why not emigrate?

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 03:39:11 PDT 2002

Some thoughts.

in something that I am writing (long-term) i intend to draw similarities between the USA today and South Africa during the eighties when journalist and activists opposed Pretoria's attack on neighbouring countries; so-called pre-emptive strikes against ANC and PAC "terrorists" when the National Party government rallied the security establishment against the people in the form of state of emergency laws that prevented us from writing about the domestic repression and the general seige mentality that gripped the whites. part of this is how the (mainly white) press were patriotic and everyone who opposed the crypto-fascism of the apartheid government were regarded as "unpatriotic" and persecuted (i have some scars...)... anyway, while some people left the country, others, like myself, decided to stay and fight the good fight - we hated the apartheid state, but loved the people and the ideas we were fighting for. I left, for a while i expect, only after we won democracy we neede! d.!

why emigrate and run away from the good fight and your home, your life. what happens if you end up in Australia; will you ignore "the Aboriginal problem" and the Right-wing thuggery of that government? that is what I think (perhaps naively) about the left, we can fight the good fight wherever we go - might as well start at home.

Ismail

--------------------------------- Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020604/da497994/attachment.htm>