Out yonder waits the Saxon foe Re: The Corporation and Test Acts

Lance Murdoch murdochlance at netscape.net
Tue Jun 4 00:39:19 PDT 2002

> You don't take the sacrament according to the rites of the Church of
> England unless you belong to the Church, but Anglicans should have no
> reason to take offense at your not joining in (at least not since the
> repeal of the Corporation and Test Acts).

A hubbub over pledging fealty to the King/Queen (as the head of the church, or whatever) is not something buried in Britain's past. "The oath" was one of the major reasons for the Irish civil war. Eamon De Valera eventually said it, but he had his fingers behind his back or something so it didn't count (de Valera was clever like that).

Our Marxist Sinn Féin brethern elected to parliament seats to this day will not say the oath, and thus are not sat in the seats to which they were elected to in British Parliament to this day. This was a big issue decades ago and is still a big issue, it has not gone away.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/otherparties/story/0,9061,618112,00.html

__________________________________________________________________ Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop at Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/